Monday, March 3, 2008

A post for Mama

I don't know how many of you out there actually read newspapers, but if you have read The Star newspaper in the past weeks, you would probably have noticed an article written by a certain Elaine Dong titled 'The Beauty of Ordinary Lives', which can still be viewed here. It was actually a review of a book titled 'Gilding the Lily' as seen through the eyes of writer Liew Suet Fun and photographer S.C. Shekar.

I have personally not seen the book, because, well, you know where yours truly is at, at the moment. But basically from the article, the book's objective is, i quote the author:

"to focus on human values, the values of these women. All the women we interviewed worked, they faced daily challenges. These challenges are universal challenges faced by women, whether they are in big cities or small towns. They worry about the household, their children, their livelihood. Therefore, we try to highlight the values that these women bring to the table in carrying through the challenges.”

I think the effort is just magnificent and it truly reminded me of my mum who have struggled to keep the family up and running through the years until me and my siblings are now grown up . Since the days when my father had his first stroke attack which made him unable to work, my mum have gone a long way from holding multiple household cleaning jobs to being a kindergarten teacher today, even though she only managed to finish her education until Form 3. She managed to put food on the table and provide for us despite the struggles, being the sole breadwinner for the family after what have happened to my father.






(Mummy dearest n me all smiles)














Her determination and courage that she had while having to put up with the crap that we were dishing out to her while we were growing up never failed to inspire me all these times when i am learning to live my life.

Now she may not be internet savvy enough to be reading my blog (sending an SMS out from her mobile was already an achievement enough in her ways), or being featured in the book i mentioned above, but in my world, my mum is a hero that i look up to for inspiration, the extraordinary person in this world that, if not for her, i would not be where i am today. I love you mum!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great job mate... really almost on tears reading this... congrats to ur mom having a great son like U and congrats to U having a great mom...